Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mexican Style Chilaquile Casserole & Flan



































On Thursday at 11:30 a.m., I went to Papa Felipe’s to review this restaurant, which the host seated me at a booth immediately. The waitress Melissa gave me a menu, and there was a good amount of entrees to choose from in their selections. I ask the waitress to show me the most popular dishes on their menu, which she stated that the chilaquile casserole, the fajitas, and the Papa’s fajita salad are the most popular dishes in this establishment.

In the chilaquile casserole, the dish has layers upon layers of meat, melted cheese, spicy green vegetables, sweet corn, and tostadas, which is smothered with red chili sauce. The entrée is baked and topped with more cheese, chili, and garnish. On the side of the dish, they also serve a guacamole salad and a flour tortilla. The entire dish costs $8.95, which you have the choice of adding your style of cooked egg into the casserole for the price of $1.25.

In the fajita entrée, you have the choice of beef strips, chicken tenders, or shrimp marinated in tangy citrus juices and spices, which is combined with sautéed onions and peppers. The entrée is served sizzling hot with savory vegetables, pico de gallo, guacamole, and hot flour tortillas. The entrée with beef, chicken, or a combination costs $11.95, and the choice of shrimp costs $12.95.

In Papa’s fajita salad, you have a choice of beef, chicken, or a combination that will be topped over garden-fresh greens, whole cooked pinto beans, tomato wedges and avocado slices. The entrée will be served in a crisp flour tortilla shelf garnished with sliced olives, shredded cheese, sour cream, and guacamole. This entire dish costs $10.95.

Once I looked over the dishes, I decided to try the chilaquile casserole with a scrambled egg. Melissa placed my order, and gave me an appetizer of chips and salsa. The salsa gave a good amount of flavor on the chips, but the salsa needs more spice in the sauce. I enjoyed the appetizer while I waited for my main dish.

The main entrée arrived in nine to ten minutes and looked delicious. I decided to try the sopapilla first, which was warm and tasted delicious, but it was a little firmer than other sopaillas that I have tried in other restaurants. Next, I tried the guacamole salad, which was soft, had a good amount of flavor, and melts in your mouth. Finally, I tried the casserole. The cheese was nicely melted, the egg was soft, the red chili had a good amount of flavor, and the meat was soft, juicy, and well cooked in the dish. The casserole has a unique flavor and the quality of the food inside the casserole is very good, but the entire taste of the casserole was not one of my favorite flavors. However, I did enjoy putting the casserole into the flour tortilla. Overall, I enjoyed the whole meal.

After I ate the chilaquile casserole, I decided to order the flan from their dessert selection, which is described in the menu as a Mexican custard. The dish costs $4.50, and Melissa bought the dish to my booth in two to three minutes. The flan was soft, juicy, and flavorful, and I could taste the cinnamon and caramel in the dish. This dessert was very delicious.

Overall, the dishes and the service were very good. Above the text is a video of the atmosphere and food of the restaurant, so you can get a better visual of my experience in this place. I was not able to get the interview with the manager on Thursday, since he was not at the restaurant. My plan is to get the interview with him on Tuesday. Please let me know of your own experiences at Papa Felipe’s.

4 comments:

  1. I have never been to this restaurant, but your review was detailed enough to make me want to go there sometime. I like your video, it is obvious that you edited it and spent some time on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I made sure to wait until after dinner, so I could read this blog with an objective point of view.

    This place looks great. You should have a best of the blog for the end of the spring. Who has the best burritos, green chile, ambiance, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should never read your blog when hungry. I would kill for Mexican food right now. And it's almost midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some friends took me to Papa Felipe's a few years ago. I had the Chilaquile Casserole which was some of the best Mexican food I have ever eaten! It was simply superb. If I ever get back to Albuquerque again, you can be sure a stop at this wonderful restaurant is definitely on my agenda!!

    ReplyDelete